Three-Program Training for Holistic Leaders in Mind-Body Learning
Our three-program training is a complete path to becoming a transformational workshop leader.
In each program you will experience, in action
- Science of mind-body learning
- Craft of experiential teaching
- Art of facilitating transformation
Takeaways from each training
- Clarity about your purpose and path
- A written guide to mind-body experiences for workshops, retreats and trainings
- Take home a support network of facilitators to rely upon
Advance your career by getting certified, or by taking any of the three programs, which can be taken in any order.
A Weekend Overview (2-day)
- Inform, inspire & support your participants
- Learn the experiential tools of mind-body leaders
- Write a mission statement to guide your life’s work
- Learn seven keys to group wisdom & nine ways to spark group creativity
FULL PROGRAM DETAILS
When you’re clear about your calling and you have the right tools, you’re in a powerful position to help others. Are you ready to bring your passion into group settings in ways that create synergy, original thinking, and breakthrough solutions?
Learn how to create a culture of cooperation based on insight, empathy, and intentional practices. Set the stage for creative leaps, deep learning, and fun, drawing on both wisdom traditions and evidence-based science.
- Self-discovery tools that link the heart and mind
- Keys to collective wisdom and ways to spark group creativity
- Interactive techniques to energize, connect, and empower people
- Marketing tips to champion your workshops
- Accountability partners and a peer-support network.
Group input and feedback help you discover your strengths, sharpen your vision, unfold your ideas, and develop an action plan.
An Intensive Practice Lab (5-day)
- Practice the craft of experiential teaching
- Vision your workshops with a process that links heart & mind
- Design a holistic workshop using a three-step model
- Practice tools that ignite collective wisdom & group creativity
- Change forever the way you teach & lead with liberating practices & feedback on your strengths and challenges
FULL PROGRAM DETAILS
Learn to create the conditions for extraordinary outcomes, optimal learning, and creativity in your workshops, retreats, and trainings. Design and present mind-body experiences that touch the heart, move the imagination, and inspire self-discovery. Immerse yourself in this life-transforming retreat and forever change the way you lead groups and guide people to self-empowerment.
We will offer you
- Insights into the science of mind-body learning
- Core tools for experiential teaching
- A visioning process to build your action plan
- Keys to collective wisdom and ways to spark group creativity
- Champion your workshop with marketing tips.
Note Tuition includes a 100-page manual with checklists, templates, and tools to help you organize and prioritize. This program is part of a three-course curriculum on the four pillars of transformational workshops: a holistic view, mind-body practices, group process, and the group leader’s twin roles as teacher and facilitator. Each course stands on its own and may be taken in any order. The three courses include Creating Transformational Workshops, a two-day overview to help you get clear about your calling; Designing and Leading Transformational Workshops, a five-day immersion in the craft of the experiential teacher; and Facilitating Transformational Workshops, a four-day group-dynamics lab on the art of facilitating.
- Learn the art of facilitating individuals and groups
- Practice skills: presencing, listening, reflecting, encouraging, questioning, intervening & clearing
- Practice ways to clear confusion and upsets
- Understand root causes & dissolve difficult dynamics
- Facilitate on multiple levels of awareness
- Use seven steps to stay in effective relationship
- Create inclusive solutions & sustainable results
FULL PROGRAM DETAILS
For everyone interested in facilitating the wisdom of individuals and groups. CE credits.
The challenges of our times call on us to be wise together. Discover how to create the conditions for transformation, accountability, and creativity in your groups, workshops, retreats, and trainings. Empower yourself and others to heal, grow, and awaken by cultivating trust—the foundation for safe inquiry and authentic dialogue.
Ken and Lesli enjoy building communities of cooperation based on insight, empathy, and evidence-based mind-body practices. They invite you to become more confident as a guide for self-discovery, and more effective in receiving full participation, holding a safe and caring container, and working sensitively with feelings, needs and difficult behaviors. Your participants can’t help but succeed, and you’ll have more positive outcomes (and fun!) with your groups and clients, when you
- Get clear about your goals, strengths and challenges as a leader
- Use the tools of intention, attention, agreements, and conscious communication
- Hone your skills to listen, reflect, encourage, and ask powerful questions
- Respond wisely in order to clear obstacles, upsets, stuck behavior and confusion
- Build consensus and group synergy with your natural support and steady presence
The group process is easier when you transform your own life first. By being present, not perfect, you set the stage for inclusive solutions and sustainable results. Role-plays, fish-bowl simulations, and case studies from Kripalu’s 50-year history as a holistic leader make this workshop dynamic, interactive and unforgettable.
NOTE Tuition includes a 100-page manual with intake interviews, templates, checklists, and behavior contracts, as well as tools for safety and crisis management. This program is part of a comprehensive, three-part training. It can stand alone or be taken as a series.
- Certification Requirements
- 1. What Are the Certification Requirements?MoreCertification is an extended commitment to self inquiry by apprenticeship and correspondence. This personalized training offers you mentoring and feedback in an independent study format designed to support your unique voice and path to confidence, competence and authenticity.
Certification requirements & fees
Three programs are required for Transformational Leader Certification. Programs may be taken in any order. Fee for certification is $420, which includes 3 one-hour mentoring phone sessions and a review of all required materials with written comments on the work you submit.
- Creating Transformational Workshops (2-day)
- Designing and Leading Transformational Workshops (5-day)
- Facilitating Transformational Workshops (4-day)
- Design and lead two workshops: Within two years of starting this training, we ask that you design and lead two workshops (or redesign and lead an existing workshop). These might be a series of experiential classes, groups or a one-time workshop. And, receive written feedback in the form of evaluations from participants.
- Reflection on your experience of designing and leading two workshops or groups: This reflection will include:
- Date or period of time (if multiple week session)
- Composition of group (special interest, general population)
- Focus of delivery (your intentions, primary experiences, goals)
- Format of session (what you offered, sequence)
- What occurred, pros and cons (what worked well or not)
- What you learned from leading the workshop, your takeaways
- How will you reshape the workshop based on your experience?
- Attend four workshops or experiential classes of any length, and record your observations: Document the sessions/groups that you attended. Keep your responses to one page per entry. Record any new insights, or places in the workshop in which you felt unclear, or have questions for reflection and discussion with your mentor. Use the workshop spreadsheet (session plan worksheet in your manual) to observe and record the workshop experiential sequence. On a separate sheet, record your evaluation of the workshop:
- Focus of session (purpose, objectives, stated outcomes)
- What mind body experiences were used? What was your response?
- What did you learn? (insight or understanding)
- Facilitation sessions: Include a minimum of 5 sessions using individual clearing facilitations, or mind body coaching sessions. Recommended format to record your facilitations or sessions:
- Date and length of the session (e.g. 20 minutes)
- Focus of the session (e.g. a particular issue, problem, concern)
- What did you learn from offering this session?
- 2. What is the required reading for certification?More
Required reading for certification
Nelson, Ken. Creating the Conditions for Transformation: How to design and lead mind-body workshops, trainings and retreats
Taylor, Kylea. 1995, The Ethics of Caring (Santa Cruz: Hanford Mead Publishers)
Miller, Richard. 2005, Yoga Nidra: The Meditative Heart of Yoga (Boulder, CO: Sounds True, Inc.)
Additional reading material for certification
Experiential Learning Theory:
Gardner, Howard. 1993, Multiple Intelligences: Theory in Practice (NY: BasicBooks)
Glazer, Steven. (Ed.) 1998, The Heart of Learning: Spirituality in Education (NY: PenguinPutnam)
Goleman, Daniel. 1995, Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ (NY: Bantam)
Kolb, David A., 1983, Experiential Learning: the Source of Learning and Development (Prentice Hall)
Kolb, David A., et.al., 1994, Organizational Behavior: An Experiential Approach (Prentice Hall)
Mann, John. 1972, Learning to Be: The Education of Human Potential (NY, The Free Press)
Reed, Edward S. 1996, The Necessity of Experience (New Haven: Yale University Press)
Inspiration for Leaders:
Kornfield, Jack. 1993, A Path with Heart: Guide to Perils & Promises of a Spiritual Life (N.Y: Bantam)
Levit, Atma Jo Ann. 2004, Pilgrim of Love: The Life & Teachings of Swami Kripalu (Rhinbeck, NY: Monkfish)
Mindell, Arnold. 1993, The Shaman's Body: Transforming Health, Relationships, Community (NY: HarperCollins)
Palmer, Parker Jr. 1998, The Courage to Teach: Landscape of a Teacher's Life (San Fran: Jossey-Bass)
Palmer, Parker Jr. 1993, To Know as We Are Known: Education a Spiritual Journey (NY:HarperCollins)
Whyte, David. 2001, Crossing the Unknown Sea: Work as a Pilgrimage (NY:Penguin Putnam).
Workshop Training and Practice Manuals:
Baldwin, Christina. 1998, Calling the Circle: The First and Future Culture (NY: Bantam Books)
Cooper, Susan. 1980, Preparing, Designing and Leading Workshops (NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold)
Duhl, Bunny S. (Ed.) 1994, Training the Trainer (Burien, WA: Avanta, the Virginia Satir Network)
Heron, John. 1999, The Complete Facilitator’s Handbook (Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing)
Hoff, Ron. 1988, I Can See You Naked: Making Great Presentations (Kansas City: Andrews & McMeel)
Hunter, Dale, et.al. 1995, The Art of Facilitation: How to Create Group Synergy (Tucson: Fisher Books)
Hunter, Dale, et.al. 1995, Zen of Groups: Handbook for People Meeting With a Purpose (Fisher Books)
Kaner, Sam. 1996, Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making (Canada: New Society Pub.)
Wilkinson, Michael. 2004, The Secrets of Facilitation: Getting Results with Groups (San Francisco:Jossey-Bass)
Yoga Theory and Practice:
Cope, Stephen. 2006. The Wisdom of Yoga (Bantam Books)
Cope, Stephen . 2003. Yoga For Emotional Flow 2 CD Set (Sounds True)
Cope, Stephen. 1999, Yoga and the Quest for the True Self (NY: Bantam).
Cope, Stephen, 2006. Wisdom of Yoga: Excerpts fom the Book CD (Kripalu Yoga Teachers Assocation)
Faulds, Richard. 2006, Kripalu Yoga: A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mat (NY: Bantam)
Sarley, Dinabandhu and Ila. 1999, The Essentials of Yoga (Dell Books)
Stapleton, Don. 2004, Self-Awakening Yoga: The Expansion of Consciousness through the Body’s Own Wisdom (Inner Traditions)
Weintraub, Amy. 2004, Yoga for Depression (Broadway Books, a Division of Random House, Inc.)